My little Piaggio-EV is back up and running. I made the following mods:
- My replacement HV-110 is now installed in an external plexiglass box with (much) better airflow and forced as well as passive air cooling. The forced cooling is on full all the time rather than the temperature variable fan that I used to have.
- Extra caps (470 uF x 6) soldered in parallel with input leads
- (Slightly) beefier wiring used -- 8 gauge rather than 12 ga
- 75 amp Andersen PowerPoles used instead of 30A
- Wiring shortened a bit
- Thermometer probe directly on caps to monitor heat
So far, it seemed ok. After my ride to work this morning, the caps heated up a bit -- from 17°C ambient at the beginning to 37°C ambient at the end of the 5 kilometer ride. I'm working on getting even more cooling in there.
6 amps used. 30 watts/kilometer average energy expenditure.